Boulders Beach is home to a unique and endangered land-based colony of African Penguins who swaddle along the beach and bring up their off-spring in this beautiful sheltered environment.
Boulders Beach is part of the Table Mountain National Park (TMNP) and consists of 3 pristine beaches, 1 penguin viewing area and 3 boardwalks. The boardwalks were built as a measure to allow for viewing of these wonderful birds, whilst keeping them safe from too curious visitors and poking fingers. Feeding them or touching them is strictly prohibited and you should respect their natural habitat at all times.
Boulders Beach is safe (there are rangers on patrol every day) and protected from currents, wind and large waves. So it’s also a perfect destination for younger children as they will be able to enjoy the penguins and shallow water at the beach. Just make sure to arrive when the tide is low as the space at the beach is limited and depends on the tides.
You can have a picnic there or even go for a swim on a hot, sunny day. You will be able to take once-in-a-lifetime pictures with those cute animals and an amazing scenery in the background. However, there are a few things that you’ll need to adhere to:
- Alcohol and smoking are prohibited
- Beach space depends on the tides – so make sure to come at low tide
- Boulders is closed to all vessels including canoes and kayaks
- Boulders falls within a No-take Zone in the Marine Protected Area of the TMNP. No marine life may be removed.
- Boulders is one of TMNP’s pay points where a daily conservation fee is payable. You can find the current tariffs here: CONSERVATION FEES
- Important: Boulders is a cash-free environment and you will only be able to pay via debit and credit cards.
Boulders Beach is a truly amazing place with stunning views and those little fellas walking all around you. It’s a really unique experience for the kids and they absolutely loved it. Of course, it’s a must-do for visitors, but also a great thing to do for the locals. The entrance fee allows you to stay at the beach for the entire day and you can make the most out of it. Just keep in mind that you won’t be able to pay with cash. It has to be a debit or credit card as the Gates are a cash-free environment.
Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- Opening Times: Apr – Sep 08:00 – 17:00, Oct – Nov 08:00 – 18:30, Dec – Jan 07:00 – 19:30, Feb – Mar 08:00 – 18:30
- Age Group: 0 – 99
- Rates 2023: SA Adults = R44, SA Children (2-11y) = R22, International Visitors Adults = R176, International Visitors Children (2-11y) = R88
- Baby Changing Facilities: No
- Kids Menu: n/a
- Price Category: Medium
- Fun Factor: 5/5
- Free WIFI: No
Phone: +27(0) 21 786 2329