CityRock is not only a climbing venue per se, it actually is one of the biggest climbing gyms in the country and you can do so much more than “just” rock climbing in order to stay fit. They offer a great variety of activities at their facility, but surely the main attraction (especially for the children) are the many impressive walls in the center of the building. The facility features 16m high walls for sport climbing, 5m bouldering walls, a dedicated kids section and even a speed climbing wall.
Children love to climb and CityROCK is a place for them to have fun and to develop fine muscle control, gain a sense of achievement and body awareness and for those who take it more seriously, to develop the correct climbing skills.
The place has very strict age restrictions that must be adhered to at all times. The youngest climbers start at the age of 5 and all climbers under the age of 16 must be supervised by an adult. They don’t have special instructors for day visitors on site so that 1 adult/parent can supervise up to 2 children.
Also, everyone entering CityROCK needs to complete a waiver, regardless of whether they are climbing or simply observing. The parents of children must sign a child waiver on their behalf and bookings are required for kids under 13 to climb at CityROCK. No walk-in customers will be permitted.
A standard kid climbing session lasts about 2 hours, but if the little ones are still strong enough after that, you can always book an additional climbing spot on the same day.
You can book your preferred kiddies climbing session here: BOOK A SESSION
They have different offers that you can choose from. When you’re not a member, you have the following options:
- A Day Pass with full access to all gym facilities (incl. yoga, Pilates and fitness classes)
- Adult = R180
- Student/Pensioner = R150
- Child (under 18) = R140
- A Boulder Day Pass with full access to the bouldering area and upstairs facilities (including yoga, Pilates and fitness classes)
- Boulder Adult = R130
- Boulder Student = R90
- Gear Rental: Please note that climbing gear is excluded in the day pass and membership prices. We require all climbers at CityROCK to wear proper climbing shoes.
- Shoes AND Harness = R100
- Shoes OR Harness = R70
- Kids Top Rope Introduction Course from 9:00 to 11:00 on the first two Saturdays of every month for children between the age of 5 – 8:
- Cost is R660, this covers one child and one guardian.
- The course includes gear rental, basic climbing safety procedures, Figure 8 tie-in knot to climb, Top rope belay skills, Top rope climbing technique
- Kids Lead Introduction Course from Monday to Thursday 11am to 7pm. This is for children aged 9-15 and those who passed their Top rope belay test already. Cost is R660 per child.
Kiddies Birthday Parties
If you have a bunch of kids who love to climb, why not organise a fun birthday party at the best climbing venue in town? Their parties consist of two hours of climbing, fun games and activities, and (of course) ample time for cake. Activities include blindfolded ladder climbing, team races on the automatic belay wall, top rope climbing and bouldering in a fun, high-energy atmosphere!
You will need a minimum of 4 party guests (maximum 15) who are all at least 5 years old or older. The cost per child is R290 and includes supervision and all the required climbing gear.
Birthday parties run on Saturdays and Sundays, with time slots from 10:00 – 12:00 and 14:00 – 16:00.
Find out more about their birthday party options online: BIRTHDAY PARTY
- Opening Times: Mon – Thu 11:00 – 21:00, Fri – Sun 09:00 – 18:00
- Age Group: 5 – 99
- Rates: Adult Day Pass = R180, Child Day Pass = R140, Students/Pensioners = R150, Gear rental extra
- Baby Changing Facilities: No
- Kids Menu: n/a
- Fun Factor: 4/5
- Free WIFI: No
Phone: +27 (0) 21 447 1326