A boutique winery with a unique tasting experience
This little gem in Durbanville has a very special surprise for all those who want to enjoy a unique wine tasting experience. Instead of enjoying your wines at a regular table, you enter individually themed caves that accommodate up to 8 people. You can check out their website for a sneak-peak on their tasting nooks or you pick one by surprise. It’s up to you! You can also complement your wine tasting with a relatively affordable food platter in case you’re starving in your little cave.
Otherwise, you can enjoy a full meal at their Jean restaurant next door. It not only offers a fantastic view on the grapevines, but you can also grab a fabulous breakfast and lunch there. The love for detail is visible all over the place and the little deli shop inside is the cherry on top.
This boutique winery is suitable for kids as well as it offers a playground on the lawn right in front of the tasting room. Nothing fancy, but it will keep the smaller kids busy for awhile. There are swings, a slide and sand pit. But make sure to bring along sunscreen and a hat for the little ones in summer as the playground is in full bloom of the sun and offers almost no shade at all.
Things To Do
There is a bunch of things you can do with the entire family at Klein Roosboom.
- Enjoy a picnic in the vines or on their lush lawns. Simply choose your picnic fair from Jean Deli and start the fun. Picnics are down on a self-service basis and there is no need for reservations.
- Bring your dog along and enjoy their walking routes. The white walking route is an easy stroll around the dam. Blue is approx. 2.3km with a little elevation and views. Red is almost 3km and a bit more challenging, with the reward of stunning views.
- Invite your friends for a 2 hour party bike adventure with wine, music, and splendid views. Navigate your way through the vineyards, stopping at various viewing points.
The wine tasting experience is truly unique and quite fun. However, this might be more enjoyable among adults. The caves don’t offer a lot of space and with two small kids it turns out to be quite tight and a bit messy with small tables full of wine glasses and platters. If you have older kids, the experience is probably more enjoyable with them than with a 3 year old and a 6 year old who constantly move around and want to be entertained. Since the playground is not shaded, you cannot spend there much time on a hot summer day and the play area is a bit limited in what you can do. At least our kids get bored easily when there is only a slide, a swing and a sandpit. The restaurant is great, but also more enjoyable on your own. There is no kids menu and the playground is not in sight while eating inside. So again, to manage smaller kids while eating there might become a bit challenging. But we can certainly recommend the food. It was delicious.
Rating: 3 out of 5 Stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️
- Opening Times: Monday Closed, Tuesday – Sunday 09:00 – 17:00
- Age Group: 0 – 99
- Baby Changing Facilities: Yes
- Kids Menu: No
- Price Category: High
- Fun Factor: 3/5
- Free WIFI: No
Phone: +27 (0) 86 0572 572